People move for many reasons. They move to larger homes to accommodate a growing family. People move so their children can go to the best schools. They move to smaller homes when the family grows up. Some people move because of a job change. Some move when they retire. Others move when they get married. So many life circumstances can necessitate a move. And as many reasons as there are to move, there are countless reasons to investigate where you think you would like to go.
Gathering information about where you might plan to relocate is an important step in ensuring you will land in the best place for you and your family. McGuire Moving & Storage are all about moving. We are dedicated to providing St Louis area movers with support and resources for their St Louis area relocation. We have created a short list of things St Louis area movers might consider when looking for a new community.
- Rural, Suburban, Urban? That’s the big question. Each type of area will be very different. Consider what is most important to you in terms of the type of community you want to live in.
- School system-If you have children or plan to have children, then certainly this consideration would be high on your list. Check out
- Convenience of shopping-For some knowing their favorite stores are right nearby is an important consideration.
- Crime rate-there are plenty of resources on the internet to help you determine how safe a community is.
- Cost of living-This varies from place to place all over the country. You will want to become familiar with what to expect in an area of interest.
- Real-estate values-These too fluctuate greatly from place to place.
- Life-style-What types of activities will you want to enjoy in your new location? You will want to investigate places where you can participate in your favorite hobbies, sports, arts, etc.
- Dog friendly cities/towns-Check out dogfriendly.com for all sorts of dog friendly city information.
We know it is a lot for future St Louis area movers to consider. Here are some great sites where you can get much of the information you will need to narrow down your considerations from above.
Research is the place to start and from there you will surely find your way home. Have fun with your search. These days a lot of mystery can be taken out of the relocation process when you can find so much on the web including photos and reviews and ratings on all kinds of things in communities. So good luck St Louis area movers! McGuire Moving & Storage helps take the stress out of your St Louis area move.
Here it is again… Fire Prevention Week. This year it falls on October 6 and runs through October 12. McGuire Moving & Storage would like to recognize this important event and remind our St Louis area movers about the importance of fire safety.
Here are some important considerations for fire safety during your St Louis area move process:
Fire Safety while preparing to move
- For everyone’s safety, gasoline-powered equipment, such as lawn mowers, motorcycles and snow blowers must be emptied of fuel and oil a few days before the move to assure complete evaporation. Propane tanks must be purged and certified before van transport. If your car is being transported, it should have less than a ¼ tank of fuel to allow for expansion.
- By law, there are some items van lines are not allowed to move, so be sure you don’t pack them. Flammables, explosives and corrosives, ammunition and firearms, fireworks or flares, gasoline, kerosene, motor fuel and lamp oil, oil based paints, thinners and varnishes, lighter or starter fluids, fire extinguishers, nail polish remover, bleach, sterno, aerosol cans, propane tanks and cylinders, and matches cannot be transported.
- Leave fresh batteries in all of your fire alarms and be sure they are in good working order for the next occupants.
Fire Safety in your new home
- Check that all fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are in good working order.
- Plug in each appliance one at a time and ensure they are working properly and their power cords are free of damage or frayed wires.
- Develop fire escape plans for each member of the family. Each member should have more than one option for escape in case of fire.
- Have a fire drill to practice the escape routes.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in places where fires happen most frequently such as the kitchen. This year’s Fire Prevention Week them is Prevent Kitchen Fires. We invite our St Louis area movers to visit the National Fire Prevention Association website for more information on preventing fires in the kitchen.
- For more tips on protecting your family and home from fire, visit the Fire Safety page at The National Safety Council.
McGuire Moving & Storage are your proven St Louis area movers. We encourage you to consult with the real experts on fire safety. Contact your local fire department to find out about Fire Prevention Week activities and resources in your community. Move with fire safety in mind. Keep Safe!
Happy Autumn from McGuire Moving & Storage! We know that many St Louis area moving companies are beginning to slow down after the moving industry’s busiest time of the year. We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of our St Louis area movers for the opportunity to serve them and move them into their new homes.
McGuire Moving & Storage never thinks about slowing down. Moving is an all yearlong industry. We know that many future St Louis area movers are just beginning the entire process and thinking about their needs before their big move. Earlier this month, we provided tips for sorting and purging the contents of your home as you anticipate a move down the line. We hope that our future St Louis area movers enjoyed our tips and resources for doing that.
Fall makes us think about areas like the garage and shed when the daytime temperatures are perfect for the jobs. In fact, National Clean Out Your Garage Day is observed as the Saturday after Labor Day. No worries if you missed that or even purposely avoided it…..For many, the garage and shed are places they would prefer not to have to deal with. But deal with it you must so let us motivate you to get started! Not only will you want to sort and purge those contents to lessen the weight of your move load and save you money, but if you are getting ready to sell your home soon, you will want these areas to be neat and accessible for showings.
It will be a lot easier to organize these areas and make them accessible after removing what you will not need or want to take with you when you move. We found this article on realtor.com “Don’t Neglect the Garage” to be particularly helpful to get you started. This article has great ideas for getting your garage in shipshape and ready for a showing.
Don’t forget to keep a sense of humor. Play some motivating music while you move through the task. Get the family involved and helping. Most people can get the job done in one day or a weekend. Just think how good you will feel when the job is behind you. McGuire Moving & Storage are here as your St Louis area Movers with all the right resources to take the stress out of your move.
National Voter Registration Day is coming right up on September 24, 2013. McGuire Moving & Storage would like to remind our recent St Louis area movers to register to vote. If you have recently moved, you have a lot to do. Registering to vote could easily fall by the wayside as you are setting up utilities, updating accounts and accessing information about where you moved to ease into your new life. That is why we are taking this time to help our St Louis area movers get the job down, so come November, their voices will be heard in our national election.
McGuire Moving & Storage like to provide resources our St Louis area need to ensure a smooth and stress-free move process. Voter registration is a simple and relatively quick process. Check out this page on the Election Assistance Commission website for a list of answers to questions about registering to vote after a move. On this page you will find a link to the National Mail Voter Registration Form and also a link for your local or state elections office. Easy!
Don’t be left out in the cold this November. Get your voter voice heard and register to vote in your new community. It is fast and easy. McGuire Moving & Storage would like to welcome all recent St Louis area movers to their new neighborhood communities.